Sunday, January 3, 2010

Up and running, well cycling at least...soon to be swimming.

I've come to an understanding and a peace with the fact that I may never run another marathon. That's probably not true because I have unfinished business in Chicago, and a DNF in the upcoming Houston Marathon. I didn't run the race that I wanted in Chicago, and was thinking that it would be my triumphant return. But after discussing things with my coach, he feels I need a little more time to really get where I want to be. After some deep sole searching, I have decided that with the cross training necessary to rebuild and rehab my fractured knee, naysayers be damned, I am going to do a sprint Triathlon.
A few years ago I read a great novel called, "The Alchemist," by Paulo Coelho. The premise being that if one is true to ones own journey he will encounter the right people at the right time to help you on your way. I feel like I'm on the path. Especially after this weekend. I had the opportunity to witness the birth of two future running legends one won her first Marathon in Kingwood, and an eleven year old run her first half as well. While waiting for them to make the turn, I met a compassionate individual that is going to loan me one of his road bikes to train on. A fellow Woodlands Running Club member and Iron Man enthusiast volunteered a bike knowing nothing about me other than my need. It might not seem like much but it has saved me from investing a thousand dollars or more into something I might do once and say to myself, "Self, what the hell where you thinking?"
For the past week I have managed to knock the rust off of my long neglected mountain bike. Starting out slow and building a firm base. Thirty minutes every other day. After church today was my third ride and I clipped in for the first time. Felt good top be one with the bike again. I decided to ride along the pipeline on the dirt road next to it. The where several puddles, and I avoided the first few. Then I said what the heck. I hit every puddle I could and had a blast doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment