Monday, January 4, 2010

Revenge of the Knee. Zen edition.


Today was a painful day. Woke up to my alarm and greeted the first alert with a painful knee, the kind that only seems to go away with more sleep. I over did it yesterday and I am paying for it today. Couple that with sending my roommate out on his first run of the year and it's not been an enjoyable experience. I feel like I let him down, because the best I could do was set him up with an interval routine on my Garmin. It served as a reminder of the things this injury has taken away from me. In my ever expanding search for happiness using a zen driven compass, life keeps throwing magnets from not so random corners of my plain.
So as I sit here contemplating the events that led me to this moment in time typing on my computer drinking green tea, I can turn my mantra on its' head. From why me? To, why not me? What is the gift that this moment of clarity brings? I have lost my ability to go and run temporarily. I have been given the opportunity to develop other mechanisms for eliminating the stresses of the day. I have been given time to just sit and be. The greatest blessing that pain can give us is that it forces us to be here and now. If you are in pain and acknowledging it, for a brief second you are zen. You are in the moment. You are not thinking. You are not doing. You are being. So say it with me, "at least I can still feel the pain."

Dedicated to Chris and Andy, two guys who shouldn't be able to run but do, and do it very well.

1 comment:

  1. Part of the healing process includes acknowledgment injury and the feelings as they are, accepting the pain for what it is, and progressing through at a pace your body allows. Quick it is not, but helpful it is.

    May you find peace in the moment

    ReplyDelete