Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I don't like your kids, why would I want one of my own...

Maybe I am being geocentric and generalizing, but why is so hard for the vast majority of the US population to understand that there is a group of us within the population that doesn't like or want kids? I had a lively debate with Julie and Robin at track tonight about my dislike for children. They gave me the standard response of it's different when they are yours. NO IT'S NOT!!! If I don't like kids at all in the first place, why the hell would I want any of my own? They mistook my toleration of children as a weakness. I don't hate them all but when I see them I see the flu bugs from the Mucinex commercial with dollar signs floating around their heads. I see them as missed oppertunities, such as trips I cannot take, sleepless nights, ruined weekends, jobs I have to pass on. College tuition, late night calls from the police, pregnant daughters, bastard yielding sons, damaged property, tantrums in public. I fail to see the positive of life as a parent vs. the life I have now. I have no permanent commitments. With the exception of my dog Luke and my girlfriend I could if I so desired, pack up and go anywhere I freakin want. Breeders, as I affectionately refer to them have to look at their kids and then turn down their dream job of being a whatever because they can't support their family on the income they would make from it. Am I selfish? Yes, I am I have several wants and desires that I would like to come to fruition but I'm honest enough to say that I can't do both so I choose me and a like-minded female to accompany. But not so much so that I create the ultimate selfish act and deceive myself and say I can bring another child into this world and still have the dream job and go and see all the things I want. Oh and the argument of, "then who will take care of you when your old," is total BS, you think your kid will take care of you, where are your grandparents, parents? The money I save by not having any kids will be enough to pay someone to live in my house and like bathing me after I crap on myself. Not all kids are evil in my eyes, just 99% of them.

1 comment:

  1. Even at age 41/42 Greg and I still get the "you still have time" and "who will take care of you?". It was our choice not to have kids. That choice has been questioned by us over time, but in the end...we arrive at the same conclusion - We are happy with just the two of us. Nothing wrong with that man!
    Gena Alvarez

    ReplyDelete